Op-Ed Pieces and Letters to the Editor
- Op/Ed Pieces:
- "Richard Alexander and Eugene Hyman: Child sexual abuse prevention has to start in elementary school," San Jose Mercury News July 17, 2015
- "Evolution of a Judge," Judge Hyman discusses how his views on rehabilitation, punishment, and sentencing gradually evolved as he progressed from police officer to lawyer to judge. California Lawyer, December, 2011
- "Criminal Background Checks Upend Job Search For Some Unemployed,"
(Mar., 2011). Huffington Post.
- "Poison of liquor abuse needs urgent remedy,"
(Sept., 2010). New Zealand Herald.
DA Rosen should take holistic view and champion reform,"
(August, 2010). San Jose Mercury News.
- "Locking Up Criminals and Throwing Away the Key No Answer," The New Zealand Herald. June, 2010.
- "Lack of Training in Juvenile System Risks Accountability," Daily Journal Newswire Articles: Perspective. February, 2010.
"Sharing Information Could Stigmatize Juveniles for Life," Related article from Los Angeles County Public Defender Michael P. Judge.
- "Smarter Courts can Help Victims, Offenders," (December,
2009). Cal Law: Perspective.
Incisive Media US Properties, LLC.
- Guest Op-Ed for The Bench:
My Opinion, Domestic Violence Cases Merit New CJA-Affiliated Judicial
By The Hon. Eugene M. Hyman, Judge, Santa
Clara County Superior Court. California Judges Association, Volume
46, No.2, Pg 2 (2008).
Beyond the Politics," The Recorder, Ad Hominem, September,
- "Compassionate Bosses,"
The San Jose Mercury News, August, 2006.
- "Suggestions for ending battles over judicial appointments," San Jose Mercury News, August 28, 2005
- "Vote No on A;
Passing it is a Cop-Out," San Jose Mercury News, February,
- "Serious MCLE Flaws are
Being Ignored," California CLE Report,
- "Why We Need Needle
Exchanges and more Drug Treatment Programs," San Francisco Examiner,
- "Don't Overlook Gender In Jonesboro," San Jose Mercury News,
Perspective, April 12,1998.
- "No One Wins When
Parent is Pitted Against Child," San Jose Mercury News,
Perspective, February, 1998.
- "Firms Need To
Be Aware: Violence Reaches From Home Into The
Workplace" , Co-Authored with Sherry Simmons. Comment,
San Jose and Silicon Valley Business Journal, September
23-29, 1996, Page 23A.
- "Stop the Violence", Perspective Commentary, San Jose Mercury News, Sunday, July 23, 1995, Page C1.
- "Judicial Evaluations
Fall Short Of Objective," San Jose Post-Record,
- Letters to the Editor:
- "We cannot incarcerate ourselves out of crime," The Washington Post February 21, 2017
- "Intervention can help impact a child's future," The Mercury News August 15, 2016
- "When Judges, Not Juries, Decide Guilt," The New York Times August 15, 2016
- "Felony Arrests Haunt Job-Seekers," The Wall Street Journal January 7, 2015
London Free Press,
London, Letter to the Editor: "On
Failure to identify sexual assault situations leaves victims and their children
at a greater risk for future victimization and a lack of offender accountability."
- "Tragedy shines needed spotlight on domestic violence" San Jose Mercury News, March 3, 2002.
- "All in the Family,"Judge Hyman advocates protection of parent - child communication in the courtroom, California Lawyer, April 1999.
on Wheels," ABA Journal,
- "DEALING WITH DRUG-ADDICTED INMATES," The San Francisco Chronicle,
March 1, 1998. p. 6
- "Compassionate Bosses," San Jose Mercury News,
August 2, 1996.
- "Young Lawyers, Keep
an Eye on Integrity," SF Daily Journal,
Shouldn't Participate in Scouting," Focus, San Francisco Daily
- "Do We Have the Will
To End Domestic Abuse?" The New York Times,
- "The Letters Page,"
San Jose Mercury News, June 1994.
- "The Time is Ripe,"
The Jewish Bulletin,
CLE'S: Costs are High, Benefits Unproven,"
The Recorder; Letters,